Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend!


I love the Thanksgiving Season!  Family, Fellowship, Food, Football....what could be better?

 I have so much to be thankful for this year....as always!  I know we are to live every day in a spirit of gratitude, but I really appreciate the Thanksgiving season, as it makes me stop and think about all God has done, and actually express it to others!  These things quickly come to mind as I think of the abounding goodness of God, and His mercy on our family:

 1. A loving and merciful God who pardons me daily for my many failings, and has met our needs to this point.."above and beyond what we could ask or think"!
 2. A faithful and God-fearing husband who works hard to provide for his family
 3. Five healthy children ..all with unique personalities and blessings (and yes, sometimes hardships!)
 4.  A Godly mother who has a wealth of Scriptural wisdom 
 5.  A multi-talented and wise father that has experienced much Spiritual growth in his "latter" years (not to be confused with "old", dad...just in case you actually read this for once!)
 6. A mother-in-law that has a burden for her grandchildren to know the Lord
 7. God's provision for Amber to attend NBBC for a third year, and His working in her heart and life
 8. God's mercy and goodness in showing  glimpses of spiritual growth in my children...especially  when I "need" it!
 9. God's provision enabling the children to receive a Christian education
10. Amber's safe arrival (and return) - again

Next year I would like to start a "thankfulness journal"...and daily list three things for which I am thankful!  I have heard it is very rewarding!


We actually were able to enjoy two huge meals on Thanksgiving Day!  We had a last minute change of plans, and went to Sue's house for lunch.  I quickly put together Elizabeth's pumpkin pound cake, with the plan of baking it at Sue's house.  (BTW, I heard it was very good, but I wasn't able to try a piece!)  We were there a couple hours, but then I had to leave as I had our turkey dinner in the oven, and it was due to come out!  The older girls left with me, and Burlin stayed longer with the younger children. 


Amber practiced for the Christmas Cantata at her church (she is playing piano for the choir)

11. Thankful for those with  musical abilities....and hearing Amber play  (all my other piano players are on a "sabbatical" from lessons this year)

 
Amber was brave, and brought her friend Aubrey home for the weekend! 
 She is "getting to know" Anna a little better!

12.Thankful for friends (sisters, family)





Our thanksgiving meal included "Mr. Tom", sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, and green bean casserole.  Every year I talk about making mom's cranberry salad, but I never do...but I did make a layered jello salad! 

13. Thankful for an abundance of food, and for the ability to enjoy all  the smells and tastes

 
 I am not very creative...and I am a bit "cheap"...so I never have neat decorations on my table!  I need to work at being a little more creative!  (Maybe that will be a goal for next year!)

Setting the table! 



Anna made the napkins for me! 



I'm not sure why I didn't get a picture of the table with all the food on it, but I did remember to take a picture of my dessert!  (priorities I guess!)

This was my second time to make a pumpkin roll...it is so delicious!


Caramel - Apple Pie...a family favorite!





Amber working on a project for her elementary education class........

14. Thankful for those with creativity






Playing a game of Phase 10...........

15. Thankful for the ability to enjoy  fun and pleasure... playing a game, watching football (or a movie), etc.




"Lifesaver"



"Pookey"

16. Thankful for pets (I think)




Some pictures really are worth a thousand words........




Burlin "resting his eyes".......

17. Thankful for rest and "snoogle" times with family


Unfortunately, Thanksgiving is only an extended weekend in the middle of classes......so there must be a little study time!!



Amber trying to help Anna in Algebra...




Abigail..."pretending" to be doing homework....but what is she really doing?  (That is always the question!)

18. Thankful for ability to learn, and for technology which greatly aids in that learning



Amber, Anna, Abigail, and Aubrey all went to the mall on "black Friday".  Of course, since Amber's favorite hobby is sleep......she was not willing to shop until afternoon!  They had a great time of fellowship together.  I sent a camera with Anna, but it was Abigail that thought to take a couple of pictures of their outing!  Audrey had wanted to go as well, but Shelby spent the night at our house.  Amber  made plans for a later time to take Audrey to Fazolis, and then shop for some new fish for her tank.  (Audrey is very close to Amber, and she covets all the time she can to spend together.)


19. Thankful there are places to shop in Lima....though I prefer shopping in Greenville, at least we have some options
20. Thankful that as my girls are becoming more careful in how they spend their money!



It was a wonderful weekend of food, fun, and fellowship!   We even watched the OSU/Michigan game!  The only thing that could have made this time better was for it to have been longer!  :)


2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVED this post! Some of the pictures made me smile . . . and some made me cry! I don't know why -- I just felt the specialness of the time with family and the love that is in your home (even if you sometimes think it is well hidden!)!!!

    I enjoyed reading the things you are grateful for, but I think you forgot your sister! :) That's OK -- I don't think I included that on my Thanksgiving post either! But I do LOVE you and am Very Thankful for you! :)

    Please post recipes!!! I want the pumpkin roll and the caramel apple pie~ I think we need to try these next time!! They sure looked good!

    Tell Anna she did a great job with the napkins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am VERY THANKFUL to God for such a wonderful, Godly sister as you! :)
    You have greatly encouraged me through the years, and have been a wonderful example and testimony of a Godly wife and mother! Sometimes you even "step on my toes" reminding me to keep my vision on what really matters! I may not say it enough, but I love you much, and I am very grateful that the technologies internet and cell phones have closed the gap of miles between us! Though distance may separate us.......we share a great bond of unity as sisters in Christ! :)

    ReplyDelete