Wednesday, December 1, 2010

When Perfect Wasn't.........Perfect!

Since the remodeling of our bathroom, we have been without a linen closet.  We brought in an old bookcase from the barn to use until we could make (or buy) what we were looking for.  Originally we were looking at built in shelves, but decided that would not be the best option.  I searched online, and in various stores, but could not find that "perfect" shelving unit...at a price I could afford! 

I am so grateful God has given Burlin a creative mindset!  He came up with a plan to build me a closet that would not only fit the awkward dimensions in the bathroom, but also my desire for adequate storage space.  He wanted to make sure we could get the maximum usage of the space available, and the dimensions were perfect! 



Burlin loves his "new" shop......



It is beginning to look like a cabinet....




Burlin made the top doors out of "scrap" pieces...
and created a shaker style like my kitchen cabinets




This larger "door" is actually an old window!


 

Here is the finished product!!!!!!!



As we were trying to carefully maneuver the cabinet into the bathroom, it soon became apparent that there was one tiny problem: The measurements were too perfect!  It was designed to  be a perfect fit in the bathroom.....but, evidently  not to get through the door, nor make the sharp turn into the corner!  We tried different angles and techniques, but we didn't want to destroy the new drywall in the bathroom trying to make it work, so we decided to leave it just outside the bathroom (in the office)! 

 

My new cabinet...already filling up!
 I'm so excited about the deep bottom shelf  where I can store blankets ( I have had to store them in Rubbermaid bins in my basement!)



 


I love the shaker style doors on the top!





I know this is an awkward picture...I was just trying to show how deep my shelves are!!



Well, I was disappointed to not have my closet in the bathroom, but I am grateful to Burlin for building me such a beautiful one!  He did a perfect job...we just live in a not-so-perfect house!  :)

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful cabinet!! Burlin has been hard at work! He is an amazing man -- very creative, resourceful and hard-working! Don't you feel blessed??

    I'm disappointed for you and Burlin that your cabinet did not Fit in the bathroom after all of that work! I admire your Flexibility though! :)

    Enjoy the extra storage space!

    ReplyDelete