Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Burlin's Birthday Blast!"

Burlin's birthday request was to visit the Air and Space Museum in Dayton.  We have talked about going for several years, but between a lack of interest and timing, we have not had the opportunity.  We actually had a "free" Saturday, with everyone available (including Amber), so we took advantage of it!  We even "bribed" a few girls with the opportunity to do some shopping in Dayton before heading home.


We packed sandwiches and water bottles for a late lunch, and took the "plunge"!


Every time we drive on I-75 south, we pass this town called Anna. We have always talked about stopping, but it has either been too dark, or everyone sleeping!  
We had to take this opportunity to stop and get a picture of Anna.....................in Anna!  :)





The perfect "profile" picture for a future facebook account.


A sampling  from our trip to the Air Force Museum in Dayton:









































Overall, it was a great day.  I don't think I have ever seen sooooooo many planes in my life!  I was impressed with Burlin as he tried to not stop and look at every plane, or every plaque!


We did get a little side-tracked by the "geek" trying to tell us all about the latest technology of the space shuttle, land rovers, and etc................we knew we were in different leagues when he was making HUGE math calculations in his head while continuing a conversation!  


We watched an excellent media presentation on the fighter pilot training.  I think that was every one's favorite part of the day.  Unfortunately, by the time the video was over, everyone seemed to be starving and exhausted.  Burlin wanted to see the latest aircraft technology, so we rushed through that room....some waited patiently on a bench.....and then headed back to the car for lunch! 


The depressing thing is that we only saw two of the four (I think) rooms!!!  It is definitely an all day trip!!  We thought about eating lunch and then trying to squeeze in the rest of the museum, but it was an extremely cold day, and it was quite a "hike" to the van, so we decided to return another time.  I hope we can return this summer!  There are several planes outside, and I think those are open to play on.  


After a stop at Target and Burlington....which were both non-productive....we were all exhausted and ready to head for home!  I'm glad we were able to squeeze in a family trip while Amber was home from college.  It gets more challenging to do things as a "complete" family as children get older!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you all enjoyed a great family field trip! Glad that Burlin was finally able to fulfill his dream!!! I enjoyed the pictures. It was good to see Amber there too. She is so pretty!

    I LOVE the Anna in Anna picture! Soo cool to have a town named after you! ;) Anna is very beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete