Ben's Birthday! Wow! I can't believe he is already 14...
I remember being so scared about having a boy, and yet, he has been such a blessing in so many ways....("picking" aside of course!)
It has been fun watching him learn about snakes, research about planets and stars (he shares a passion with Burlin in looking at the Heavens), and develop an interest in hunting innocent and adorable animals...........
He seems to enjoy hard, physical labor, and working with his hands. I can often find him taking something apart and trying to fix it. He "dreams" a lot about different things...sometimes I can't keep up!
I can't imagine our family without him in it! (Nor would I want to!)
The chosen menu for the special evening:
Sweet and Sour Pork
7 - Layer Salad
Cheddar Bay Biscuits
and for dessert:
Layered Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert
It was nice to have Grandma and Grandpa here for the special day.
Unfortunately, due to some unexpected events the past two weeks, we still did not have his main present, so I placed a picture in the bottom of his gift bag (with some socks, and other "unmentionables" that were much needed). He seemed excited about it, and he took it well....already showing that "manly maturity" ! We hope to pick it up this weekend!
I am hoping to have a more *active* summer! We could all use the exercise, and I am thinking we need to play some "one-one-one".....sure wished those Ours' boys lived closer!! :)
Time for the best part of the night.....dessert!
Obviously, with this being a frozen dessert, I didn't think traditional candles would be an option......so we had him blow out my votive candles that were decorating the table!
After filling our tummies .... we played a short game of Pictionary, and then watched Nemo before heading to bed.
Happy Birthday Ben!
I am anxious to see God's continued working in his heart and life, and see how all the different pieces fit together in the path God has for him! I know boys have a reputation for "picking" , and we tend to quote the verse "a brother is born for adversity".....but, I want our girls to start focusing on what a blessing a brother can be (by God's strength and mercy)!
Ben truly is a blessing, and I am thankful for him!

Happy Birthday, Ben!! I hope you had a good day! Hey, it was so my idea to have icecream sandwich cake for my birthday!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you are 25 days older than me! x-( I'll soon be caught up, though! =P
Great post! I love the pictures of your food, especially that delicious ice cream cake! :)
ReplyDeleteThe basketball goal looks like a great gift for Ben!! We do not have ours up since moving . . . and that is what Bethany asked for for Christmas, and did NOT get. :( She would love to play b'ball with Ben!
I love the way you describe Ben and point out his excellent qualities! it seems that he has learned many of them from his Dad!
About the picking -- well, look at Dad! that must be something you never outgrow!!!!!! :)
Happy Birthday to Ben!!