Thursday, February 26, 2009

Baking With Apples

Evidently, reading about exercise http://yes-theyre-all-ours.blogspot.com/ put me in the mood to bake! I know this is not the way to lose weight, but I so enjoy baking, and it is a great "stress reliever" too! Of course, my family enjoys these "baking moods" as they get to eat the benefits.

Baking also brings back memories of my mother baking bread, cake, pies, cookies, etc.. We would love to get home from school and enjoy a slice of hot, buttered bread for a snack! My children love this tradition too!

I had some apples that needed attention, so I decided to try my sister's apple chip cake. Since the recipe is already posted on her daughter's blog, I will not repeat it here. http://capturedbybeauty.blogspot.com/
In keeping with the "family tradition" I made a few changes along the way. I accidentally added a bit too much cinnamon, cooked it for a little less time, and added an icing glaze on the top. Why does icing make everything taste better? Even graham crackers taste "yummie" with a smear of icing in between!


I must admit, I did lick my fingers a few times along the way, but I did resist the temptation to eat a piece with the family. It was delicious - or at least that is what I was told! The batter was pretty tasty though.

I still had leftover diced apples to use up, so I made a batch of apple bread as well. I sent that to work with Burlin so as to not be tempted! The two recipes were almost identical. It is funny that I have made apple bread for several years, and I have never thought of putting it in a cake pan!

2 comments:

  1. Ok - you are definitely tempting me over here! I enjoy baking too, but it is not so good for my waistline, and I don't think I have as much self-control as you! :) The cake looks Delicious! I can just smell it baking . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just emailed you and told you I couldn't post a comment on your blog. But, I tried something different and it finally worked. don't know why I was having so much difficulty, but the verification word just wouldn't load. Anyway, looks like we are back in business! ;)

    ReplyDelete