Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Peace..

"Peace" - that was the subject of my morning devotional today. We all long for peace: for the world, our nation, our families, even ourselves. But, only Jesus Christ can give real peace to our hearts and minds.




Our home seems to have a lack of peace these days. It is disheartening to me the physical and emotional wounds my children can inflict on one another without even showing any remorse. Belittling, arguing, selfishness, anger and bitterness should not be in any family, and yet, we have a Christian home, our children attend Christian school, and we are struggling to keep our family "in tact" and at "peace". Though we begin ecach day with famly devotions, it often isn't long before someone must be disciplined. There is little that is more humbling to a wife and mother than watching her family deteriorate and be helpless to "fix it".







Am I the only one to have experienced a car ride like this one??





As I was reading through my devotional, I was reminded of how to maintain a peaceful heart and mind.

1. Pray about everything:

How much have I really prayed for my family, asking God to work instead of me trying to fix things?

2. Abide in Christ and trust in His ways:

How much am I really meditating on God's Word and allowing it to change me?

Is. 26:3 "The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in You"(NASB)

Having a steadfast mind means fixing my eyes on Jesus, meditating on His Word, spending time with God, and trusting that God's plans are for my welfare.


3. Thanksgiving:

I need to thank God for all things, even allowing our family to experience this difficult time, and for showing me the coldness of heart that has crept in unnoticed. God does all things well, and everything He allows is for His honor and glory.





It is so easy to let our hearts slip into complacency while trying to give the outward appearance that all is okay. (We may be able to fool people, but we can never fool God.) God alone has the power to change not just my heart, but the hearts of my children! But, for true change to occur in my life, or theirs, I must be praying, abiding, and thanking!





1 comment:

  1. Powerful Post!~ Thanks for your transparency! I know many will identify with what you shared and be encouraged! No one has the perfect family, but we strive to come closer to what God wants us to be. I love the one verse you quoted -- Is. 26:3. I have camped out on that verse many a time! BTW, I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete