Competition is a huge event at our Christian School http://www.cbclima.org/. Preparation and practice often begins shortly after the conclusion of the current competition. Its primary purpose of course is to honor the Lord, and to prepare young people to serve God through the "arts". Although it is a lot of stress, the young people really look forward to this time! Expectations are always high, and emotions waver with each event and score result, but it really is a neat experience.
Every year there always seems to be a sickness of some sort running through the school weeks prior to competition. This year we were hit with a couple different severe viruses - with high fever, respiratory or stomach symptoms, or some combination of the two. Though we prayed diligently for God to place a "hedge of protection" around us, our family was "hit" with less than two weeks to competition. Audrey was the first victim, then Abigail, and finally Anna - just three days before competition! Strangely, she seemed to receive the worst case - at least in our family - she had an extremely high fever with both the respiratory and stomach symptoms. Unfortunately, with viral infections there just isn't much that can be done except rest and time. We continued to pray that God would heal her body in time to compete, or that He would give her the strength and grace needed to push herself through the two long days of singing, speeches, and piano playing. The school left wednesday early afternoon - they stay at a school about an hour away from where the competition is (it is free, and doesn't have the complications of teens staying in a motel). We left that evening, and Anna rode with us as she was still pretty sick. With my full size van, she was able to lay down and get some rest (when not coughing, blowing her nose, etc..)
Thursday morning her fever had broken, but she had much congestion with a very productive cough. We headed to competition that morning with a "complete pharmacy" in tow - everything that might help her to get through the long and demanding day. She was in tears most of the morning, didn't feel well, and just "wanted to go home"! Unfortunately, first thing that morning she had her vocal solo, but she managed to get through it without coughing! Other than having a softer and hoarser voice, she did well. Not much later came her speech. She didn't have the energy or feeling that could have been there, but again she got through it! As the day wore on, she seemed to feel better, and enjoy herself more. She sang in a few ensembles, played a sacred piano solo and two piano duets (one classical, one sacred). Though by friday she was feeling much better, her only event was the school choral group. Since she was doing so well, she rode home on the school van that afternoon!
When Anna became sick so close to competition, I had to keep reminding myself - and her - that God is good, He does all things well, and He is the blessed controller of all things. At competition, God blessed my heart as I watched Him extend that "extra measure of grace". Why was my soul still so anxious for her? Why was I so concerned about her going through disappointments? ("Ye of little faith" comes to my mind.)
Abigail competed for the first time this year. It was uncertain if she would make it (she has had some demerit trouble this quarter), but she was victorious! Again, it was God's grace and mercy that intervened, and who knows, maybe her missing a few days of school because of illness was actually to her advantage! While driving to Zanesville we received a phone call that Abigail's hanging bag (containing her school uniforms) was missing. Since she was wearing a uniform already, we decided "worse case scenerio" she would wear the same shirt and jumper for three days. However, the bag was eventually found, and all was well - except for the sudden "rash" that mysteriously appeared on her later that night (of course, that is common with Abigail). Though I think it was a bit overwhelming for her, she thoroughly enjoyed every minute! She also had a vocal solo, as well as ensembles, and a duet acting speech. Because she quit piano lessons last year she didn't have any piano numbers, but she is wanting to resume lessons. We may give it another try either next quarter or maybe over the summer.
Both girls also entered other art categories:
Anna (Senior High Division): digital media photography, posed photography, and landscape photography; crafts - shadowbox
This is Anna's shadowbox (sorry, I cut a couple corners off - I am definately not the photographer of the family!) Though she spent a lot of time on it, it only received a II rating. She was disappointed, but she was pleased personally with how it turned out - it is going on her wall.

This is Anna's landscape photography entry. It received a I rating.
This is Anna's posed photography entry. It received a I rating.
This is Anna's digital media photography entry. We both thought it was a cute entry (of course, it is Bethany!) She received a I rating.
Abigail: Junior High Division: digital media photography, posed photography, and candid photography; machine sewing - rag quilt; crafts - jewelry (necklace, earings, bracelet)

This is Abigail's digital media photography entry. She received a I rating.
This is Abigail's posed photography entry. It received a II rating.

This is Abigail's candid photography entry (our cat pookie). It received a I rating.
This is Abigail's rag quilt. I was very impressed at her first attempts to really sew something. I think we both lost count of how many times she had to rip out and sew again. I watched how it went together, so I may try to make one myself sometime! It is a good "starter" quilt (very forgiving of minor mistakes!) It received a I rating.
This is the necklace, earings, and bracelet that Abigail made - it received a I rating. She was quite thrilled! I thought she did a wonderful job, and she really surprised me as she has such big hands, and those are tiny beads! (I learned a lesson on not assuming my child can't do something!)
Misc. Pictures at Competition:
Misc. Pictures at Competition:
Anna with her friends Mackenzie and Krissy...as you can tell, she is beginning to feel better.
Ben sitting with his friend Jesse....they did well, but kept getting bored with it all. It is hard to believe, but Ben (and Jesse) could be competing in competition next year!
Abigail waiting to get into the room for the next number..
I really appreciate Burlin taking off work to drive me to Zanesville. When not watching our girls perform, he was busy working in the sanctuary on his laptop, keeping up with work, writing reports, etc.. (he really isn't an "artsie" guy)
Anna with Luz (one of Pastor Keith and Linda's new "charges")
Final Results:
Abigail:
vocal solo II
vocal duet II
vocal trio II
vocal quartet II
choral group II
duet acting II
crafts (jewelry) I (and 1st place)
digital media photo I
posed photo II
candid photo I
Anna:
vocal solo II
vocal duet I
choral group II
sacred keyboard solo I (and 2nd place)
sacred keyboard duet I (and 2nd place)
classical keyboard duet I ( and 1st place)
dramatic interpretation (speech) II
crafts (shadowbox) II
landscape photo I (and 1st place)
posed photo I (and 1st place)
digital media I
Final thoughts:
Final thoughts:
First, a few thoughts on trials (or challenges). I know that a short illness is probably not thought of as a trial, but I think the applications are the same:
- they are not purposeless
- they are not fruitless
- they have a beginning and an ending
- nothing can come into my life that God doesn't allow - trials don't come to destroy me, but to prove me and my faith
- when trials come I need to thank God, and to ask God to stamp eternity on my eyes
Second, I am reminded of one of my favorite verses: Eph.3:20 "...He is able to do far more abundantly beyone all that we ask or think..."
As this year's competition comes to a close, I am so thankful for God's grace and answered prayer. I think it was Anna's best year, and she will be heading to Nationals in Greenville in April! That Abigail was even able to go was again an obvious answer to prayer as well. She had a great time, savoring this new experience, and even "placed"! To God be the glory great things He hath done!
Emily and Abigail
Emily and Anna
Krissy, Hannah, Mason, and Joel W.
Kenzie, Krissy, and Anna
Mamie, Emily, and Abigail
UPDATE:
Anna gets to go to National Competition (AACS) at Bob Jones University in Greenville, S.C. in April!! Krissy and Anna will be performing their classical piano duet, In theHall of the Mountain King, by Greig.
Unfortunately, I will be the official chaperon, so I won't even get to stay with my mommy! But, maybe I can squeeze in some visiting time somewhere along the way!
Unfortunately, I will be the official chaperon, so I won't even get to stay with my mommy! But, maybe I can squeeze in some visiting time somewhere along the way!
CONGRATULATIONS to everyone on their awards! I know you must be so proud!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI hope all goes well at BJU!
I have nominated you for a blog award. come on over to my blog to pick it up!
Elizabeth
At first, I couldn't find the video you uploaded -- but finally I found it after all of those stubborn blogger-induced spaces! :) the girls did a GREAT job! Tiffany came into the room while it was playing, and said, "Oh, that is The Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg!" I was impressed that she recognized it right off! :) Hope all goes well at BJU!
ReplyDelete