Sunday, September 6, 2009

Chicago, Chicago!

Usually we go to Northland via the U.P. of Michigan. However, we decided to try the Chicago route on the trip home. It is about 150 miles shorter this direction. Last year Burlin took Anna with him on a business trip to Chicago, but I have no remembrance of ever having been there, so I was anxious to to see something besides Michigan!

Entering Chicago:
One reason for going through Chicago was to visit the Sears Tower (now called the Willis Tower).


Though the traffic wasn't extremely heavy, it must have been a popular "tourist time" as we had a very long wait to see the tower! The line started outside around the corner from the building.........




While waiting in line outside, I took a picture of a Mennonite group that assembled across the street to sing. Though we see Mennonites all over our area of Ohio, it was neat seeing them try to minister to downtown Chicago through music. Unfortunately, we could not hear them from where we were standing as there was too much noise from the traffic.





As you are "winding" through the entrance to the tower, there are several trivial facts posted on the walls about the tower's construction. I found this one of interest.....that is a lot of stairs!! Just think how many calories one could burn in a day walking up and down those steps.....even if only once!






A video presentation is also part of the experience. It is very informative about the history of the building......if you enjoy that sort of thing! :)


As could be expected there was "heightened security"...much like at an airport (only we didn't have to remove our shoes!)


I wasn't able to get a picture of our elevator ride....I can only say that it was literally "wall-to-wall" people...you literally could not move. It would have made a neat picture...especially with the mirrors on the ceiling. The ride itself wasn't too bad... 103 floors in about a minute, and the pressure on the ears was much like driving through the mountains.



The weather was perfect for viewing! It really is an incredible view...that seems to stretch out for miles. Here are some pictures taken from the Skydeck:





Recently, glass balconies were added so that people are able to "step out" over the city. This is a picture of the balconies taken from the website:




These are pictures of Burlin and I standing on the glass ledge of the balcony....I was unable to get a good picture without the reflection of the glass, but I didn't keep trying as there was a line of people to get on, and an even longer line waiting for the elevator to get back downstairs.



It really wasn't that bad...the hardest part for me was the "first step", and then I got side-tracked with trying to capture a decent picture. Burlin had issues with the child on the other end jumping up and down....I didn't even realize he left my side!



Well, these are some pictures as we left the Sears (Willis) Tower:





Heading for home:

It was a very nice, but short, visit to Chicago. I hope next time we are "passing through" to be able to stop and see the Pacific Garden Mission.... (We enjoy listening to Unshackled! ) There just wasn't time to make another stop as we still had about a five hour drive!
Well, with the big city of Chicago well behind us, and now traveling through Indiana, the only thing "towering" in the skyline was a cluster of hot air balloons!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a cool post!!! I love the Hot Air Baloons!!! That was so neat! I liked seeing the pictures of Chicago -- but I don't know that I really want to go there. I'm so not a Big City person! And that would be pretty scary to step out on that glass floor! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

    ReplyDelete