Thursday, July 7, 2011

Elida High School Auction




Like other areas across the country, Elida is building a new high school.... thanks in part to President Obama's stimulus package, and increases in property and income taxes.  Burlin and Ben attended the auction hoping to find some amazing deals!  I went to the "preview", but didn't see anything of interest to me.  But, my boys are "collectors", and "visionaries"............








Burlin bought three of these built-in cabinets with solid oak doors for $1 each.  (He couldn't bear the thought of solid oak being destroyed!)  We were initially hoping to turn at least one of these cabinets into a bookcase in the office, but after more reflection decided it may make the room too crowded.  We may keep a smaller one "just in case", but are passing the others on to his dad to utilize!





Burlin was unable to get off work the two days set aside to collect purchases, so his dad spent all day - both days - helping Ben with the difficult task of removing built-in cabinets!  It meant removing doors and shelves, cutting, or moving out of the way, wiring,  sawing around the frame to cut any nails and boards holding the unit in place, and whatever else was needed to get them ready to haul down to the truck when Burlin arrived!  I was pretty much the errand girl!  


Funny story: We were working upstairs, and the room was  too dark to work.  So, I rush to  Menards to buy a work light.  When I return, the lights are on!  Ben says, "We just asked the lady downstairs to turn the lights on!"  Oh well, I knew I could return the light, but Burlin needed one anyway, so he kept it.  His motto: "New project, new tool."








This is the original entryway to the school.........Burlin bought this for $9!  Again, he couldn't stand the thought of this solid oak being destroyed! He is hoping to use this in the barn as the entrance to his "shop".  He didn't bother trying to get the upper set of windows, as it was just to massive for our intended use.  


The doors opened into a storage room filled with art supplies, so I was able to take a trunk-load of supplies to the art teacher at our school to sort through! (Various types of paper, cardboard, paints, matting, etc...)  Audrey had a blast looking through all the treasures hidden there!  





Ben snagged on to this find in the Biology room!  Anna did not appreciate him hanging it in front of the door to her studio though, so Ben must find another location to hang such an unique item.....probably in his room next to his other bee hive!








This is my favorite item Burlin bought......an old, solid wood (oak) desk! When Burlin was taking on-line classes, he bought this huge L-shaped desk so he could spread out, but it is "too much" desk for the small room!  I have been wanting to "downsize" my computer desk, and for $1, the price was right!  


He was also able to purchase two computer/office desks for work. This also proved to be challenging in removing from the building! Evidently, they had to saw a little off the bottom to get them through the doors.  Fortunately, it is in an area that won't be seen, and I think he is delighted he was able to save some money in his hospital budget.





This is another desk Burlin purchased for $1.  It makes a great stand for the aquarium he bought, which makes a great "house" for the turtles!  He actually bought three aquariums (again, for $1 each!)  He also bought three boxes of aquarium supplies, and Ben found this pump among the items!



Bigger turtle: Audrey's ...."Tuttle" (painted turtle)
Smaller turtle: Ben's....."Mapquest" (because it is a map turtle)


They found the turtles while wading the river!  This is a favorite family activity on a Sunday afternoon!  





Ben "snagged" on to this find!  The Elida Bulldogs.....
I think he is planning to hang this in his room somewhere!  





I think this is my favorite!  While investigating around the school, Burlin found an old "dumbwaiter", and he asked Ben to cut the rope for him.  He then made this swing for me, as I have always wanted a  wooden swing hanging from the tree branch!  He decided to use a leftover piece of barn siding, and built it "for two"!  Such a thoughtful surprise!



I'm hoping Burlin and I can spend many evenings together on this special swing!  


Burlin was also able to purchase several "shop lights" (15 ft?), again for $1!!  
And several oak windows....which he hopes to recycle through Craig's list later this summer.....when he can find them!  I was unable to take a picture of them, as they are "hidden" among everything else stacked in the barn until Burlin has time to get all these new treasures put away!  


Well, it is sad to see this piece of history go, but thanks to Burlin's creativity and hard work, we will enjoy some "new" additions around the house!  

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I loved all the pictures of Burlin's finds! He is So Creative and Resourceful and Hard-working! What a blessing to you and the children!

    The new computer desk is great!

    I Love the double swing! I want to see a picture of you and Burlin enjoying that swing together!!!! What a sweet surprise for you!!!

    ReplyDelete