2013 In Review
Part 2
August:
Wow! Where to start! This could definitely be summarized as "the month of changes"!!
The weekend of Anna's wedding, we received news that my mom's health was declining rapidly. Although my sister stayed in town for the wedding, they left soon after for Greenville. She kept me posted - often - and as things were changing so quickly, we made the difficult decision that I should leave as soon as possible as well. Audrey went with me - mainly to keep me awake as I drove through the night (that was futile), hoping to make the ten hour drive in time to see mom in what seemed to be her last moments on this earth.
Each day (and often each hour) seemed like her last. As the days turned into weeks, it was difficult to see God's plan in it all. It is amazing the conflict of emotion - not wanting our time with her to be over, and yet not wanting her to endure even one more moment of suffering! And, not just her suffering, but dad's as well! Sometimes I would peek through the crack in her door to see dad holding her so gently and lovingly, whispering in her ear, showing such love and devotion...it brought tears of both joy and sadness to my eyes!! What a blessing to see how God has changed my daddy, and yet the conflicting sadness in thinking of the void to soon be in his life after more than fifty years of marriage!! (I have to admit, I really wanted to sneak in a picture, but it just didn't seem appropriate.)
My mother - a picture of Jesus Himself. Though she is not without faults, she has enjoyed such a vibrant, meaningful relationship with her Savior! She has always desired to be an example of Godliness to all that cross her path! She has also been a valuable prayer warrior!! Who will take her place? Who will wrestle in prayer as passionately as she has through these many years? No problem is too big or too small for her to plead on our behalf to her Heavenly Father! I have lost count of how many times we have all said, "I wonder what Nanny's 'feeling' is in this matter?" or "What does Nanny think?" It's as if she has this direct line of communication to God...and yet, we can all have it! Her testimony of a changed life In Christ not only blesses me, but convicts as well. Although she has had days of discouragement and pain, she hasn't complained about the "lot" God has given her, and she has been faithful to the calling God has given her!
It is hard to believe after several weeks of semi-consciousness, and lack of eating, God revived her strength, and has given her more precious time with her friends and family!
| My beautiful mom and sister! Taken the end of August. |
| Only those of us closest to her at her seemingly "time of departure" can understand what a beautiful picture this is and the dramatic contrast from the weeks prior! |
This time in Greenville was a spring-board to another momentous decision in our lives: a switch to homeschooling! Due to the uncertainty of the months ahead, and knowing I would spend much time divided between Ohio and South Carolina, we decided to take a plunge into this unfamiliar territory. Although it was stressful for my dad to have both his girls with him at once, and for so long, it was God's mercy and blessing for me, as I was able to lean on my sister for help, direction, prayer, guidance and counsel during this huge transition! She has many years of experience in this area and has gained much wisdom and insight! I am blessed to have her for a sister for sure!
During this extended stay we would try to leave the house for a few hours to give everyone some "time away" from the emotional strain (and boredom for Audrey I'm sure!). It is funny that browsing through a couple of stores, or shopping for school supplies became welcomed activities. I also worked in a few Chick-Fil-A visits!! My favorite stop was downtown Greenville! I love how beautiful and welcoming it has become! We walked through some small shops, sold a couple flexi clips, took pictures, and enjoyed some delicious meals and ice cream as well!
I don't know God's timetable for my mother, but I am thankful for her extended time on this earth, and I know that even though she may be restrained physically, she will faithfully serve her Lord the rest of her days with us! She will continue to pray, encourage, minister, and support in any way she can!
Such a sweet and precious post!! Reliving those emotional weeks in Greenville through your post brought tears to my eyes!! I love those precious pictures of Mom -- love the joy in her face of being fully alive again! Hard to understand God's ways and timing and have no idea what the future holds . . . I don't even want to imagine! So grateful that we have each other to depend on and to help out Mom and Dad, whether it's separately or together! :) Love you! ~Elizabeth
ReplyDelete