Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Fun!!

Believe it or not I actually got the tree up this year before Amber came home from college! I don't have that many decorations to put up, so it really doesn't take that long. (Every year I plan to purchase things after season to use the next year, but then decide that we made it through fine without them so why "waste" the money!)

I love getting out all the ornaments. Mom would always buy us an ornament each Christmas, and most of them have such special memories! One of my favorites was from my second grade teacher!

I have tried to continue the tradition, though some years it gets missed! I usually wait until after Christmas to buy them, so sometimes I don't have a very good selection to choose from......but, they are so much cheaper after Christmas!!!

Burlin's favorite ornaments are these old, glow in the dark, plastic icicles! He remembers them when he was growing up, and would always talk about the fun they had with them......he found some at a garage sale a few years ago.....now I think they may be my children's favorite too! (They were trying to imitate Sid from the Ice Age movie.)
By the way, ornaments are not just for hanging on Christmas trees!!!!

Most families sing carols and drink hot chocolate while decorating the tree...I guess we are just not in that category....we just act silly!! Maybe it was the egg nog!!


This was a beautiful gift from a friend! It looked nice on my front door! Unfortunately, it is a fresh arrangement which means I will only be able to enjoy it for this season! I used to have my mom's pine cone wreath she made many years ago.....it was always my favorite....but, it became too fragile and broken to use anymore....it was hard for me to part with it!

Audrey decorated my mantle for me with the Nativity Scene!

Christmas Eve was always so special when I was growing up! I loved how we would drive around and look at the decorations in the neighborhoods, then come home to this wonderful buffet.......or more like a banquet.....of finger foods and punch! I tried to keep up with that for a while, but it was too time consuming and expensive. However, I am thinking that next year I may try to re-incorporate the idea while making some changes to better fit our family. I also miss how our neighborhood would light luminaries...I remember them being so beautiful! I thought about doing that at my house (though it would not have the same effect as with a whole neighborhood participation)....but I started pricing the supplies, and quickly changed my mind!!
We like to read the Christmas Story on Christmas Eve, and then open the surprises hidden inside the stockings! These too are a precious heirloom knitted by my mother. I once asked my children if we could discontinue the stocking tradition, but that was not appreciated!
There is one Christmas tradition that I am very grateful we don't continue at my house: I can remember waking up in the middle of the night eager to open presents! Mom and dad would usually protest but then allow us to get up....then we would often return to bed! Fortunately in my house, we have "late sleepers"!!! They don't usually arouse until around 9!! Then we get showers and dress before thinking about opening any gifts.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading about your childhood Christmas traditions! Amazing how they sounded so familiar . . . ;)

    Cute pictures too!

    Now I know what caused the giggles at our hosue on Christmas Eve -- it was the Egg Nog!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done luminaries with paper lunch bags, sand at the bottom and a votive candle. Fold down the top of the bag an inch or two. You can cut out a shape on the side of the bag to make it prettier. Work quite well and the cost is minimal! I enjoyed reading your blog and seeing the pics of your holiday fun! Love, Terri

    ReplyDelete