Monday, December 28, 2009

Creation Museum

I was totally surprised, but thrilled, that Josh would want to spend a week at our home! He flew to Dayton on Saturday.....sorry, I was unable to get a picture of him at the airport (I had to be ready to move the van if asked as we were in the unloading/loading zone, but Josh was still on the plane.).....so I "borrowed" this one from my loving sister! We were undecided about what our plans would be that day, as we knew he was up very early to catch his flight in Atlanta. However, we finally made the decision to drive the extra hour south to visit the Creation Museum. We thought he could sleep in the car if needed, and it may be his only opportunity to see this unique account of Creation, as well as the entire Salvation Message.



Because the museum continues to expand as money comes in, we like to visit at least once each year. I knew this was going to be a challenge to "sell" to Josh as he had already mentioned he really doesn't like museums. However, we were convinced we could get him to enjoy it! We allowed him to set the pace of our tour........Burlin likes to "savor" every exhibit, video, picture, etc...that is along the way, so he goes at a "snail's pace".....(we have decided that he needs to just go by himself sometime so he can spend as long as he wants as he walks through!) I love the technology and convenience of cell phones, as Burlin was able to "dawdle" on his own, but keep track of the location of the rest of the pack!




The museum has some special presentations at Christmas time, but we were unable to take advantage of them this time. They have a special planetarium viewing of the Christmas Star, and at dark they have the grounds set up like Jerusalem as they attempt to duplicate what it could have been like to make that journey to the stable to see Mary and Joseph and baby Jesus (There is a live nativity.)

But, it was a long day, and a little cool outside (most of us left our coats in the car), so we just tried to hit some "highlights". We did take in a general planetarium viewing.....Burlin likes astronomy so we all have to "suffer" through this part! Everyone's favorite activity is a special production called "Men in White". I am glad we saved the "best for last" because at least Josh left with a smile on his face!




I think Amber was getting tired too....her feet were hurting.....but, then again they always do!


Audrey loves taking pictures of the fish and turtles..





Josh trying to be a "good sport"......



They all seemed fascinated by the "coin collector".....they liked dropping their coins in at the same time and see which one would drop in first!



I took this picture really for Anna as we have a family joke about "thinking outside the box". They have a very nice bookstore, and as timing would have it, I noticed a man walk by with a snake around his neck! I stopped and asked him if I could get his picture with Ben!


Turns out they were having a special snake presentation! So, Ben and Audrey went to see the snakes while the rest of us endured the planetarium.

Can't you see the excitement in Burlin as he passes out the tickets?


I think Abigail shows the excitement of the rest of us!
Audrey and Amber taking in a hug and a pose!



Hmmm, I am sure Josh is letting everyone know what a wonderful time he is having........



Audrey loves to pose for a picture.......think she is going to take after Anna on that one!


Having fun taking pictures on the way home...



We had about 2 1/2 hour drive home. We stopped for dinner at Bob Evans just north of Dayton. Though most of the gang took a nap on the way back, we were pretty tired when we finally arrived. We watched a movie and went to bed! I don't think we were able to change Josh's mind about the museum, but he was a good sport about it, and I look forward to our week together!

1 comment:

  1. The museum looks cool! I would have enjoyed it!! I hope Josh got something out of it! Thanks for taking him there.

    I hope you all have a good week with Josh there! Thanks for hosting him.

    ReplyDelete