Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day??



May is when we celebrate Mother's Day. I tend to be really hard on myself at this celebrated day - comparing myself with others, remembering all my failings as a wife and mother, determining within myself to do better next year. Because of this tendency, I try to reflect on the Scripture passages relating to women, wives, and mothers. Proverbs 31, along with I Timothy and Titus have much instruction given to women. This is a time that I repent for my past failings, and try to refocus and renew a proper vision of my role as wife and mother.


I came across these notes in my reading:

What makes a good mother?
1. virtuous-virtue, conformity to a standard of right, chastity
2. a good wife - she is faithful; she focuses on her husband
3. keeper at home (Titus 2:5) - domestically inclined, good housekeeper, not just "at home", but making sure home is taken care of, under headship of husband
4. diligence-hard working
5. trains children

This year I would like to challenge myself with verse 26: "She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness in on her tongue." One problem I see in my children is their unkind speaking to one another. My desire is that I would always speak to others (especially my family) in love and kindness, and that a tone of anger or irritation would never be present in me.



I heard a wonderful message on that verse some time ago, and the insights are really worth remembering and sharing:

I. A Guarded Conversation - "she openeth her mouth"
*know when to speak and when to be silent
*voice concerns to God, but be careful even in what I say to God
*timing is important
*pay attention to Holy Spirit
*other verses: Job 2:12,13; Ps. 39:1; Ecc. 5:2
II. A Godly Conversation - "in wisdom"
*begins in a heart set apart for God
*out of the heart, the mouth speaks
*what should I say or not say?
*other verses: Col. 4:6; Eph. 4:29
III. A Gracious Conversation - "and the teaching of kindness"
*attitude determines tone
IV. A Genuine Conversation - "is on her tongue"
*on the "tip of her tongue"
*consistency
*don't speak quickly about things you don't know
*integrity and sincerity
*other verses: Prov. 4:23; Matt. 12:34; Jms. 3:10



* God sets a standard before me, but He never asks me to do more than I can do! *


I remember one year I determined within myself that I would "be" the "virtuous woman" of Proverbs 31. Staying up late, rising early, trying to "be" all the things listed in this passage....well, as you can imagine it only caused frustration within myself! Strange how God works, because my loving sister sent me a book on that very subject - The Proverbs 31 Lady and Other Impossible Dreams, by Drake. It was a good "prodding" to me of a truth I have known, but wasn't heeding: "I" can't make myself Godly, only God can! I can't make myself "live out" the Fruit of the Spirit...it is God working in my heart, changing me into Christ likeness. It is only as I seek God with my whole heart, and walk in obedience to Him, that these qualities will be genuinely displayed in my life!

My Mama:

When I think about godly women, (wives, mothers) my own mother comes to mind. Though I never really appreciated her growing up (as I was too busy rebelling), she has become a very special person to me. She is a wonderful example to my children. I know she was not a perfect mother, but I think it is safe to say I was not a perfect child! God has given her much wisdom, and a huge heart to serve Him in all things. She is thoughtful, sacrificing, and hard-working. I really enjoy attending her Bible Study class when I am in town-she is an excellent teacher. She has a very stirring testimony which she has shared many times. God has given her much Biblical knowledge and wisdom, which she shares liberally to anyone who will listen (and even those that probably don't!) Though it is difficult to be limited "physically" by a neurological disease, she is not limited "spiritually", for God has no limits, and she still serves him actively in prayer, teaching, ministering, counseling, and probably other ways I don't even know about! She truly is a great example of godliness not only to myself and my children, but to all that know her or would come in contact with her.

My Mother-in-law:

We often hear how horrible the "in-laws" can be. I am so thankful to God that I can honestly say I have a very sweet and godly mother-in-law. She is very meek and mild mannered, but she speaks of God with everyone she meets. She prays earnestly for her children, grandchildren, and others that need to come to Christ for salvation. She is very giving and hard working. She loves babysitting her grandchildren when she can, and will go out of her way to help someone in need. A few years ago she had to stop working because of the effects Parkinson's disease was taking on her physically. However, when she is able she still serves others in a "nurse-aid" capacity, using that as a "door" to give out the Gospel. She sings hymns and shares her testimony. She has a love of writing stories, poems, and songs, and recently produced a cd recording of some of her favorites. These too reflect God's working in her life. Just last week she was having surgery at Cleveland Clinic, and she brought copies of her cd's to pass out to the employees she would meet. - her quiet way of sharing God with those who come in contact with her.


As my mom would say, these "hardships" are just "stepping stones" in our lives........

As I contemplate my life this week, I am so blessed. God has graciously given me two examples of godly women. Though they have differing personalities and gifts, they both have a strong desire to share God with others. They love to serve and give of themselves where they can. Though it is difficult to watch both of them suffer in their physical pains and limitations, it is a joyful reminder to see how God uses those things in our lives to not only work Christ likeness in us, but to be a witness of His goodness, love, and mercy to others we meet in our daily living.


God commands us in Deut. 6:4-6 "to love the Lord your God with all your heart and will all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up."


As I reflect on these verses, God seems to put on my heart that this is godly mothering: loving God with all my being, and sharing that love with my family and others that I would meet in my day as I go about my daily chores and living. It is talking of God, and to God, as I go throughout the day -sharing what great things He has done for me (and others) to my children and those God brings in my path. It is reading and studying His Word each day, and then praying for His will to be done in my life, and praying diligently for my family. If I truly love God and desire to please Him with my life, it isn't trying to "be" what I think the "perfect model" of the "perfect mother" is, it is walking in obedience to God, allowing Him to work in me the qualities of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control! As Prov. 31:30 says. "..a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised."

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Incredible post!! That was such a blessing and I admit that my eyes were not dry as I read it! Thanks for sharing those wonderful insights and tributes to the mothers in your life!!!

    ReplyDelete