Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Faith of a Child...

Ben loves his snakes! He will often hold them, take pictures of them, and just watch them. Believe it or not, I have become accustomed to having them around. I help with digging worms, feedings, and even looking for lost snakes (Cornflake is a master escape artist!)
Cornflake has not only been a delight to Ben, but an adventure for all of us. Feeding time is the favorite! Each week we buy "feeder mice" to fill the belly of our "starving" snake (that is how he acts anyway!) Most everyone huddles around the aquarium to watch Cornflake eat the two unsuspecting (and sometimes cute) mice, often asking to take pictures.
Thursday evening, Burlin and I picked up mice on our way home as a surprise for Ben. We fed Cornflake his two mice....which he gobbled up quick! In fact, he was already attacking the second one while the feet and tail of the first were still in his mouth! (I wish I had taken a picture of that as it was quite humorous.) By Saturday, he had a huge bulge in the middle.....(we can probably all identify with what it feels like to eat too much!) As the day progressed, he looked more miserable and was behaving strangely. I am sad to say that Cornflake died.....(a lesson to all on "over-indulgence"!!) While Cornflake was struggling to survive, Ben was struggling with helplessly watching nature take its course. He did what he could to intervene, but without success.
The death of Cornflake saddened all of us...(though some more than others I think!) Ben quickly buried him in the "Sherrick Pet Graveyard" located in the backyard (except for the grave of J.J. which is by the back door.) It was as he came back in the house that my heart was really touched. I told him how sorry I was that his snake died, and that maybe we could find another one like it sometime. His reply surprised me: "I'm not upset, it was God's will." Even through his sadness he recognized (by God's grace) God's sovereignty in all things! What a blessing to my heart! I thank God for allowing me to see a glimpse of His working in Ben's heart!

2 comments:

  1. Awww -- how sad! I feel so sorry for Ben! I know how much he loved his snakes!! what a tragic thing! So, is there a lesson in that for us on gluttony??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. God gives and God takes away - can't wait for your post about what God gave in return!

    ReplyDelete