Saturday, August 22, 2009

Making Salsa!!!

Our family loves salsa!! The main plant in our garden is tomatoes. Not only are they delicious fresh off the vine, but we love to make...and can...homemade salsa!

Our plants started off the season looking great, but due to the combination of cooler days, lack of rain, and dry rot, our crop was not looking too promising. We purchased some spray for treating dry rot, prayed for God's intervention, and hoped for the best.

This week I am pleased to announce that we have beautiful red tomatoes!!! (This gives testimony to the fact that we may plant and water, but it is God that gives the increase!)




We have made three batches of salsa this week!! Although the process is a bit time consuming, the hardest part is canning it before we eat it all!! It gets to be fun (although a bit messy) to get everyone involved in the process!


I can't believe I caught Amber washing the tomatoes without wearing gloves!!! (She does not like to get her hands "dirty"!)


Ben is "in charge" of the boiling process....he is dropping the tomatoes in the boiling water, and then removing them when the skins are loose.


Abigail doesn't mind getting her hands dirty....so she is peeling the tomatoes and helping with the food processor.

Of course, I am busy chopping the other main ingredients: onions....either sweet or yellow...usually whichever I have on hand

celery...

peppers... I use both bell and banana, fresh from our garden


Here is the finished product!! This year I also canned the juice leftover from straining.


Tonight, the kitchen got extra "congested" and messy.....as I was trying to finish canning the last batch of salsa, Burlin was busy making Jalapeno Jelly!!

Here is a picture of his finished product!!


Pat's Salsa: (We have tried several recipe combinations, but this seems to be our favorite...)
3 qts. chopped, peeled tomatoes
3 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup salt
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp mixed pickling spice (I place in a coffee filter and tie)
1 cup white vinegar

I don't follow this exactly...I usually use more onion and pepper and less celery. I sometimes use different sugar combinations. I also add minced garlic. We usually make different levels of spice too by adding jalapeno peppers. But, this is a great "base" recipe to use as a "springboard" to your imagination!


Jalapeno Jelly:

1 1/2 cups chopped jalapenos
1 large chopped bell pepper
1 1/2 cup vinegar
6 cups sugar

Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Strain off liquid with a fine colander. Return liquid to saucepan and add 2 pkgs. certo. Bring to a boil again. Add red or green food coloring if desired (does make it look better!!)

2 comments:

  1. I loved seeing your whole family in on the action! You make the world's best salsa! I can almost taste it . . . Thanks for sharing your recipe! It looks like you all had a lot of hard work and a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try your salsa recipe. My current recipe needs improvements.

    ReplyDelete